Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Van Gogh and the Blues

The newest book, Van Gogh by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith is a must read for all artists! It is so well written. The book has 885 pages and I am now on page 718 and Vincent has just cut off his ear. 

We all have times when we think our work isn't good enough, we doubt ourselves and have frustrations, but it's good to have a reference point, like Van Gogh. I know I sometimes get the blues, pity myself about the useless art training I received in college, if I had just started sooner, . . . it can go on and on. However, it is helpful to remember that Van Gogh produced all the work of his life in a mere eight years under extremely difficult mental complications and challenges. So, for those of us who started late, this is a statistic to keep in mind and stay positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment